The Roseville Fire Department responded to a report of a chlorine odor in the Union Pacific J.R. Davis Yard about 4:40 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 14. Firefighters confirmed there was a dangerous level of the gas in the area and stopped the leak.
Firefighters found that the source of the leak was a leaking valve on a 30,000-gallon railcar. It took four hours and multiple entries into the danger zone for firefighters, dressed in specialized haz mat suits, to apply a special chlorine leak repair kit to the railcar.
No injuries were reported and no evacuations were required, according to the Roseville Fire Department.
Chlorine gas is a heavy, yellow poisonous gas that causes suffocation even at low levels. It is widely used in commerce and is frequently transported over the road and rail to its point of use.